How to Check Domain Name Availability
There are a few ways that you can check to see if a domain name is available. One way is to use a WHOIS search tool. This will allow you to see if the domain name is registered and who the registrant is. Another way to check availability is to use a domain name search tool. This will allow you to search for a domain name and see if it is available.
What's a domain name?
A domain name is an address where you can be found online. It's how you'll express yourself through email or your website and what customers will think of when trying to find you.
Domain names are made up of two parts. For example, in the domain name www.example.com, 'example' is the second-level domain (SLD), and 'com' is the top-level domain (TLD). SLDs can be any combination of letters and numbers; however, they cannot start or end with a hyphen. TLDs can be either generic or country codes.
How to choose a domain name?
Choosing the right domain name is essential to your success online. A good domain name should be:
- Easy to remember
- Easy to spell
- Relevant to your business or personal brand
- Unique and distinctive
Things to avoid when choosing a domain name
There are a few things to avoid when choosing a domain name:
- Using hyphens or numbers in place of letters (e.g., replace the letter "o" with the number "0")
- Making the domain name too long or difficult to spell
- Using a word that is easily misspelt
- Using a word that could be misinterpreted as another word (e.g., using the word "play" when you sell children's toys)
When you've found a domain name that you like, the next step is to check its availability.
How to check if a domain name is available?
- Go to finddomain365's Domain Generator Tool.
- Enter the domain name you want to check in the "Search" box and select the extension you want.
- Click "Generate." If the domain name is available, it will say "Available" next to it. If it's not available, it will say "Not Available."
If the domain name you want is not available, don't worry. You can do a few things:
Try a different variation of the domain name. For example, if your first choice is unavailable, you could try a different TLD (e.g., .net or .biz) or a different SLD (e.g., replace the letter "o" with the number "0"). Check the WHOIS records to see if the domain name is registered but not currently in use. You can contact the registrant and inquire about purchasing the domain name from them. Use finddomain365's domain name generator tool to brainstorm other ideas. Once you've found an available domain name, the next step is to register it.
You can also use a WHOIS search tool to check if a domain name is available.
What is WHOIS Search?
A WHOIS search is the best way to determine who owns a particular domain name. It will also tell you when the domain name was registered and when it expires.
To do a WHOIS search, you need to follow the steps:
Go to finddomain365's WHOIS Information Tool
Type in the domain/website name that you want to check. Some popular WHOIS websites include whois.net and whoisxmlapi.com.
Clicking "Get WHOIS" will bring up the WHOIS record for that domain name.
The WHOIS record will include the registrant's name, address, email, and phone number. If the domain name is available, it will say "Domain not found." The WHOIS record will list the registrant's contact information if the domain name is registered. If you want to register a domain/website name, you can use finddomain365's Domain Search tool to find a domain name and register.
How to Use finddomain365's Domain Search tool to find a domain name and register?
- Go to finddomain365's Domain Search Tool.
- Type in the domain name you want to register in the "Search" field.
- Select the extension you want.
- Click "Search." The domain name will say "BUY" next to it if it is available. It will say "WHOIS" to check all its whois information if it's unavailable.
- On click "Buy," this will redirect to buy your domain name on NameSilo.
- Click "Add" to add your domain to your cart and checkout.
Domain name registration is reserving a domain name for your website.
How does a domain name search tool work?
A domain name search tool allows you to check if a domain name is available. You need to enter the domain name you want to check the enter domain name you want to check, and it will tell you if it's available or not. You can also use a WHOIS search tool to check who owns a domain name and when it expires. I hope this helps!
What Should You Consider When Buying a Domain Name?
When you are ready to buy a domain name, there are a few things you should take into consideration:
- You need to decide which registrar you want to use. A registrar is a company that handles the registration of your domain name. Some popular registrars include GoDaddy and Namecheap.
- You need to decide what TLD you want. The TLD is the domain name part that comes after the final dot. For example, .com, .net, or .org.
- You must choose a good domain name relevant to your business or website. The domain name should be easy to remember and pronounce. It should also be short and catchy.
- You need to check if the domain name is available. You can do this by using a WHOIS search tool or a domain name search tool.
- You must buy the domain name from the registrar of your choice. Once you have bought the domain name, you must set up your domain's DNS ( Domain Name System). DNS is what tells the internet where your website is located.
- You will need to renew your domain name every year. Most registrars will email you reminders when it's time to renew.
- Finally, keep your contact information up to date. If you ever need to transfer your domain name to another registrar or person, they will need to be able to reach you.
How to Buy an Available Domain Name?
If you've checked and the domain name you want is available, you can buy it from a registrar of your choice. Just go to the registrar's website and follow their instructions:
- Go to a registrar website, e.g. GoDaddy, NameCheap, NameSilo.
- Enter the domain name you want to buy in the search bar.
- Check if it's available and add it to your cart.
- Proceed to checkout, and enter your billing and contact details.
- Choose your payment method and complete the purchase.
Now that you've bought the domain name, you need to set up its DNS so people can find your website. DNS is what tells the internet where your website is located. Most registrars will provide instructions on how to do this. If not, you can find plenty of guides online on how to set up DNS for your specific domain name. Remember that you will need to renew your domain name every year. Most registrars will email you reminders when it's time to renew.
Finally, keep your contact information up to date. If you ever need to transfer your domain name to another registrar or person, they will need to be able to reach you.
What is a Domain Name System (DNS)?
A domain Name System (DNS) is a way to convert human-readable domain names into numerical IP addresses. For example, when you type in www.example.com, DNS will convert it into 126.96.36.199, the IP address of that website's server. All computers on the internet use DNS to connect to websites. Every domain name has at least two DNS records: A and NS.
An A record is used to map a domain name to the IP address of that domain's server. For example, the A record for www.example.com would point to 188.8.131.52, the IP address of that website's server.
An NS record is used to delegate a subdomain to a set of name servers. Name servers are special computers that store DNS records for a domain. For example, the NS records for www.example.com would list the name servers for that domain.
To set up DNS for your domain name, you need to add both an A record and an NS record to your registrar's DNS management page, and the steps are:
- Login to your registrar account.
- Find the DNS management page. This is usually located in a menu called "DNS Management," "Name Server Management," or something similar.
- Add an A record for your domain name. In the Hostname field, enter www. In the Points to IP Address field, enter the IP address of your server.
- Add an NS record for your domain name. In the Hostname field, enter ns1. In the Points to IP Address field, enter the name server's IP address.
- Save your changes.
- It may take 24 hours for your DNS changes to propagate across the internet.
I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.